Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Char Siew Quick, Easy, Authentic

So here's my char siew for cheaters. It's so easy it's almost foolproof, and it tastes quite like my Popo's delicious char siew barbequed pork. I get all my ingredients at the Strip District in Pittsburgh, but if you don't have access to any Asian grocers, you could purchase them online. I've compiled a list of ingredients that I use in my cooking, together with links to where you can buy them on Amazon (my review Here).

Ingredients
  • Pork, 1 kg (any kind of pork will do as long as it's in even cuts but the best is pork belly. Actually you can make char siew type chicken or any kind of meat)
  • Thick soy sauce, 2 tablespoons
  • Soy sauce, 2 tablespoons
  • Oyster sauce, 1 tablespoon
  • Honey, 2 tablespoons
  • Sugar, 2 tablespoons
  • Salt, 1 teaspoon
  • Sesame oil, 1 tablespoon
  • White pepper, 1 teaspoon
  • Five spice powder, 1 teaspoon
  • Chinese wine, 1 bowl
Simply put all the ingredients in a wok, bring to a boil then simmer for about 45 minutes. After that, uncover and keep cooking until sauce is reduced to a thick goo and until the meat is slightly charred (that's 'char' siew proper). Slice, serve and enjoy! (Now could that be any easier? :))

Tender and juicy char siew is perfectly paired with fluffy white rice

A click on any ad will put a few cents in my pocket, from the advertisers. Thanks for supporting my blog!


xo Gracie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you! Please leave a comment!